Thank you Madame Samm and Debby Kratovil for being the real Queens of the hop. It’s been a spectacular one so far, and I know it will end just as spectacular. Thank you to our sponsor, Connecting Threads, for the great giveaways.
I really admire all of you out there who love to do hexies by hand. I mean REALLY admire you. Have you seen some of the projects so far? A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, to say the least. A couple of ladies made a quilt using 500+ hexies? WOWZA! All I can say is they must have the patience of a saint.
This hop gave me the kick in the pants I needed to try making hexies by hand ... something I've wanted to try for a while now. I decided to use 1/2" hexies. After starting the project, I quickly changed what the end result would be. Why? Hexies by hand just aren't my cup of tea so I ended up downsizing my project. I had to come up with something. Sure didn't want to be put on "that list".
This really turned into an epic failure, even though I did end up creating something to fit the theme of the hop. My planned table runner turned into a hexagon frog hot pad. Considerable size difference eh? There is no way I was going to finish the table runner ... EVER.
But wait! Uh oh. Oh carp. Do you see what I see?
I didn't realize what I did until I was looking at all of Thursday's blog hop posts. When I drew the "hexagon" pattern on paper, I didn't make a hexagon ... it's an octagon! What the heck was I thinking? This was just a project that was doomed from the start. The only saving grace I have is that the frog was made out of hexagons.
For some reason the above picture really makes it look out of whack. So I had to include another one so you can see it's not quite that bad. LOL
Eventually, I'll try a hexie project again, but using a half hexagon ruler. No more hand hexies for this gal. Nope ... uh uh.
Now I can say I tried it, but I don't like it.
Time to visit the talented people scheduled to show their creations today.
Friday, August 22


Love your frog...oh gosh you made me laugh! Oh "carp"? (that's a keeper)....you got something done - that is never a fail!!!! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI love your frog! Glad you finished and shared with us
ReplyDeletexo jan
Hexagon--octagon--they are both many-sided figures, so who cares? You made a cute little hotpad and tried something new. It sounds like a win to me. Cute frog!
ReplyDeletefroggie!
ReplyDeleteyou know what, hexagon, octagon, who cares, LOL? And I LOVE your frog, I am anyway a frog-lover, so your really made my morning! I love the colours, so bright and fresh!
ReplyDeleteI simply adore your frog and who care how many sides it has....very cute....
ReplyDeleteI love your frog. Not a doomed project at all! And loads of praise to you for trying! I am still on the fence....will I or ......
ReplyDeleteThank you!
I love your hot pad with the cool frog. And not a project that is doomed at all. Thanks for sharing your creativity
ReplyDeleteLove the hexie frog. You stitched a really cute frog,
ReplyDeleteGreat frog!! I admire your honesty!! I too am on the fence - I don't think I've got the patience for the tiny hexies but maybe the larger ones??
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing!
I think the froggie hot pad is adorable. Not every technique is for everybody. I love handwork, but I can't quite get it together to do hand applique. You might like the half hexie ruler which allows you to do hexies by machine!
ReplyDeleteI think both of them look good no matter how many sides you have used! Good job on trying something new, even though you don't like sewing hexes at least you now know and can spend more time doing stuff you do like!
ReplyDeleteYour frog is so cute, and two corners more on the mat...
ReplyDeleteWho counts lol
I'm sure that you will love to work with the half hexagons,
go on :-)
Thanks sharing and beeing part of this hop.
Bente
Good for you for trying something new! Love your project, that frog is really cute!
ReplyDeleteI like your hexie froggie. How creative to salvage your project in that way. Fortunately, there are other ways to do hexies besides hand-stitching from now on. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI love, love your frog! And I didn't notice it was an octagon until you mentioned it. :). Blessings, Marlene
ReplyDeleteCutest frog ever!! lol...It is really cute
ReplyDeleteWhat a cute frog! You did a great job, despite your feelings.
ReplyDeleteLove your frog!
ReplyDeleteYour frog is great, and the octagon shape works really well for the larger piece!
ReplyDeleteI never would thought to make a frog out of hexagons! So creative!
ReplyDeletelove that frog. I havent tried hexagons yet because I hate to hand sew. I really have liked all the projects I have seen so far so I decided I am going to give it a try. Wish me luck
ReplyDeleteninja frog...cute... nice work
ReplyDeleteLOL on making hexies! Your frog is so cute and such a clever use of the hexies you did end up making. I love to hand sew and just ventured into hexie-land. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThe frog is adorable and the fabrics are perfect. If you hadn't told me the shape of the potholder is octagonal rather hexagonal, I would not have caught that. Actually, it fits the shape of the frog great. Thanks for participating and inspiring. The fabrics are delightful and just perfect for the project. The frog would make lots of cute projects, even blocks in a baby quilt.
ReplyDeleteHe is still a cutie pie!
ReplyDeleteThose little tiny hexies make an adorable frog...love it! I'm with you on hexies not being "my cup of tea" and well, that octagon thing happened to me, too. LOL It looks great!
ReplyDelete....but the frog turned out so cute. I'm not a hexie gal either.
ReplyDeleteBest laid plans... happens to me all the time! But I LOVE the frog! He is CUTE!!!
ReplyDeleteHow funny! I like the froggy, though! :-)
ReplyDeletelol, I sympathize with you. I have a friend who would adore this frog, I may have to make one for her! Thanks for sharing it.
ReplyDelete~Brandy
ha ha funny post, but I think your froggy is extra cute! Good job :)
ReplyDeleteI think you had a very cute and creative idea with your froggy! Not a failure by any means. It's great that you tried out a new technique.
ReplyDeleteWell I really like it! I've not tried 1/2 inch hexi's yet but can see making a very very small framed quilt out of them in my future. Great job!
ReplyDeleteYou aren't the only one who made and octagon instead of a hexagon, lol. Your frog is made of hexagons so don't sweat it. It looks great no matter which is was.
ReplyDeleteI'm laughing with you not at you because it sounds like something I would do. Somewhere deep inside you are a hrxie queen--or maybe an octo queen. Smiles!!!
ReplyDeleteI love your frog, he is so adorable...I showed me daughter-in-law (she collects frogs) and she fell in love with it.
ReplyDeleteI love your frog, he is so adorable...I showed me daughter-in-law (she collects frogs) and she fell in love with it.
ReplyDeleteI love your frog, he is so adorable...I showed me daughter-in-law (she collects frogs) and she fell in love with it.
ReplyDelete1/2" hexies are not for me. I use 1" or 1.5" hexies. The frog is a cutie.
ReplyDeleteNeat frog! I would definitely go for bigger hexies!!
ReplyDeleteI like it, and I admire your willingness to try -- hexies scare me to death, lol!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your froggy project - I'm not fond of hand sewing hexes either.
ReplyDeleteohhh you make me laugh..you and Carol must of been in the same zone..the octi zone..despite that...I adore your frog....it just hopped into my heart
ReplyDeleteI think we need a King of Octies hop! You and that other lady could be co-cheerleaders. I love your little frog!
ReplyDeleteBrilliant! Love your frog!
ReplyDeleteLovely frog...thank you for sharing! pbstrand@msn.com
DeleteWell at least you tried. I was too chicken to even sign up for this one.
ReplyDeleteMaybe next time it SHOULD be snowballs or octagons?? It does look like a frog and the fabrics are lovely. You did all that work hand sewing them. Are you sure you can't find a little hexie love for it?
ReplyDeleteThat frog is awesome. You did great. No more beating yourself up.. thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI love your hexagons surrounded by an octagon. Do you know you're not the first person on this hop to mistake an octagon for a hexagon? Back to school - NOT! Love your frog. He's so cute! Thanks for sharing today.
ReplyDeleteA girl after my own heart! :-)
ReplyDeleteYou did great! Your hexagon blocks being enclosed in an octagon is perfectly okay. That's what I call a twist, plus there are no rules in how one is supposed to complete a hexagon project, right?
ReplyDeleteDon't tell the frog, he'll never know. You did great!
ReplyDeleteAhhh, your little frog is just so cute!
ReplyDeleteI thunk that you did a great job! 6, 8??? who is counting?? I love your hexie frog and your octogon ~
ReplyDeletecheers
maggie
maggiemine42@gmail.com
What a cute frog. I like the first pic. He may be a little off center, but it looks intentional.
ReplyDeleteWell, after all that, it turned out great! I'm with you though, no hand hexies for me!!
ReplyDeleteMy daughter loves frogs, I'll have to show her a hexie frog :). Fun!
ReplyDeleteI think your frog turned out cute. Hexes are not one of my favorite either, but I'm having fun reading and looking at the blogs.
ReplyDeleteYou and Carol made me laugh! Your teeny tiny frog is adorable. Thank you for sharing your misadventure.
ReplyDeleteHexagon - octagon either way your froggy is so super cute!
ReplyDeleteFunny, that's so easy to do...no matter, it's still great! Thanks for sharing and I hope you will try hexies again someday!
ReplyDeleteLove your frog!!!! Doesn't matter that he isn't on a hexie cuz he is made of them:) haha!!! Great job!
ReplyDeleteI am thinking that is probably what I would do if I even tried to make a hexie and after all you just wanted to show off your sweet hexie frog by putting him in an octagon( wink,wink). Love it .
ReplyDeleteI think you did a wonderful job! I hope you don't totally give up on hexies and do try them again.
ReplyDeleteYou were very brave to agree to do a hexi hop when Hexi's aren't your love... you did well - don't be to hard on yourself - you finished it beautifully and that is an amazing achievement :)
ReplyDeleteI understand where you are coming from! The rulers are fun!
ReplyDeleteFrogs are one of my loves and yours is wonderful. You may not like hexies but your a great job!
ReplyDeleteKudos for trying something new..."jumping in"! LOL
ReplyDeleteAnd you got an adorable little froggie!
Lol - an octagon; sure glad you told me or I'd have missed that!!!! Cute little hoppy frog - he's just perfect for a hexie and for a hop!
ReplyDeleteHiya!!! Oh he is just precious, even if he is in an octagon. He's still made of hexies, and that's what counts. Thanks for sharing. Blessed be, hugs!!! Pam
ReplyDeletepamspretties57 at gmail dot com
Your post made me smile! I am geometrically challenged and had not caught on to the shape being octagonal! I absolutely love your mat - the little bugger surely is cute! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteLOL... you know I didn't even notice the 8 sides to you pointed it out... I was busy admiring the hexie frog. He's cute! I hear you on hand piecing hexies...I'd rather skip it. ;o)
ReplyDeleteHow funny! You're not the only one who got confused between "hexi" and "octi" LOL!!! Easy to do! I love your little frog though - he's too darn cute!!! No way he's a failure :*D
ReplyDeleteI love your frog!! Don't worry about your background being a different shape. It adds to the coolness factor!! I think it is wonderful!
ReplyDeleteWell, I just assumed the octagon was on purpose to fit the cute frog. Very creative use of hexies that I hadn't even thought of...
ReplyDelete