Header Picture

Header Picture

Sunday, May 12, 2013

It's My Day to Squawk!

Welcome to my first blog. Grab a cup of coffee, tea or whatever your choice of beverage may be, sit back and take a look at what I have to offer. Please don't tar and feather me if you don't like my birds. ; )

Today is my day for the "It's for the Birds" blog hop. A huge thank you to Madame Samm for hosting yet another fabulous blog hop and another huge thank you to Mary for being an awesome head cheerleader. You ladies rock! I'd also like to thank our sponsor, Clothworks, for providing the beautiful fabric for the giveaways.

When I first heard about the Bird hop I knew I had to enter. Even though I didn't have a blog, I was going to showcase my birds on "That Other Blog". After I was accepted, "That Other Blog" was closed. That was the push I needed to get off my tail feathers and create a blog of my own.

My birds are from a design I created when I was in 6th grade (many years ago). I drew my bird on burlap fabric and did rug hooking and embroidery with various yarns and ribbons. My creation won 1st prize in the Art Fair at my school and was entered in the statewide elementary school art exhibit competition. To my surprise my bird won 1st place in the statewide competition! How cool is that? All of the winners projects were then showcased at various locations throughout the state. I was told I wouldn't get my project back for about a year. When the year was coming to an end my Art teacher had to deliver some bad news. She told me my piece of art was lost and nobody knew what happened to it. Not even a ransom note ... how rude! As you can imagine, I was absolutely devastated! So if you happen to see a bird that is shaped like the two below, but done on burlap fabric, it's MINE!

Back to the reason you're here.

The last time I did needle punch embroidery was many, many years ago, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to try it again to bring my long-lost bird back to life. When I finished this bird, I stretched it out over a 12" x 12" canvas. She still needs a frame.




I decided to create it again and made a little quilt for my tabletop quilt stand. Unfortunately it was too windy when I took the pictures to show you the quilt on the stand. You can't see it in the picture, but she has a red crystal eye.
 

Here they are checking each other out. I'm prettier ... no I am!



Thank you for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed your time here. Now go and visit all of the other talented bloggers to see what they have created for you to see.



Monday, May 13
















23 comments:

  1. First. Congratulations on your first blog ! I remember how exciting it is to start a blog.
    Now those birds ! I love them ! When I saw the first needlepunched one I thought it would look great done with fabric, then I scrolled down to see the one in fabric . The fabric one is my favorite but I think they are going to be arguing over who is prettier for a long time.
    Wonderful projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a shame about your bird. Love your bright and beautiful new birds! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the appliqued bird! Congrats on starting your blog! I am green with envy...hope to join you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very colourful birds, what a pleasure! They have brightened my morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the vibrant colours you've used, really cheerful - great design too.

    ukcitycrafter@live.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol - cute - love the bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have put a smile of my face with your birds and I am still smiling. Thanks for sharing your creativity

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK!! Those are just too stinking cute!! I would love to have a lap quilt from that pattern! Where may we find it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such cute birds! I like them both. The needle punch is so creative! Welcome to blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your birds are both awesome! I really love the appliqued one. Congrats on launching your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. they made me laugh....in a fantastic way too!!! they are just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to the blogosphere..great way to fly right in! Cute bird!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love both of the bright birds! So glad you started your own blog.....you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations for starting your own blog. I love the quilted bird the best probably because of those great bright fabrics. So darn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both birds have character! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your birds are super wonderful! So neat that you could recreate the original idea. Thank you so much for being part of the hop.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your birds crack me up....too cute ! Congratulations on being most creative today...you defiantly are !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your fun filled birds. So bright and cheery. I haven't done needle punch in years... you brought back some great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What fun projects. I did needle punch many years ago and had fun with it. Thanks for sharing your cheerful projects.

    ReplyDelete
  20. love your squawking....you are most deserving of ...well you will see...welll done my dear for your very first hop with us...hope to see you again

    ReplyDelete
  21. They are both very pretty, although they do look quite competitive.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate the time you take to leave a comment.

This post is the property of sewpeacetopeace.blogspot.com